Science and Technology Entry Program (STEP), Medgar Evers
Contact: William Bailey Project Director
Email Contact: wbailey/mec//cuny//edu
The purpose of Medgar Evers College STEP is to increase the number of historically underrepresented and economically disadvantaged students in grades 7 – 12. We will prepare them to enter college, and improve their participation rate in mathematics, science, technology, health-related fields, and the licensed professions. STEP provides academic enrichment in science and mathematics content areas. Projects consist of academic year and summer components including:
• Core subject instruction/regents exam preparation
• College admissions counseling
• Standardized tests preparation
• Career awareness/development activities Tutorial services are provided for core subjects such as Algebra I & II, Geometry, Living Environment, Earth Science and Chemistry. To foster their pursuit in the STEM professions we established additional classes in Multi-Media Journalism, Methodology of Research and a self-pace online training in A+ Certification. In Multi-Media Journalism, students will be introduced to topics such as: The new media profession, web credibility, cyber law including libel and copyright just to list a few. Objectives
• Students will gain a basic understanding of web design concepts.
• Students will create stories to be published online.
• Students will create multimedia-reporting packages utilizing current software programs. Through collaborative effort, twice during the academic year, a group of selected candidates are trained in the Methodology of Research. Objectives
• Components of research • Development of research strategy/question
• Determining reputable resources
• Evaluation of reputable resources The web-based application is a suite of resources that gives selected candidates the opportunity to prepare for A+ Essentials and Practical Application Certification by TestOut. Objectives
• Comprehensive training methodology includes video, text, labs, and certification test prep software. • Hands on labs let you practice both hardware and software configuration tasks in a virtual environment.
• Online Delivery gives you instant, anywhere access through most major browsers on both PC and Mac.
• Reporting and assessment tools make LabSim perfect for use in a classroom or distance-learning classes. Tours College and University tours are planned throughout the academic year within the following states: New York, New Jersey, North Carolina & Georgia. Technology tours provide us with a demonstration of wireless technologies used in public safety and public service communications.
Who is eligible?
The Science and Technology Entry Program is designed for New York State residents (including permanent resident aliens) in grades 7 through 12 who belong to groups historically underrepresented in scientific, technical, health related, and licensed professions, or who are economically disadvantaged.
How to apply
If the student’s school is within the Brooklyn region, then contact the Project Director to verify if their school is currently one of our sites. If not, provide contact information of the school administrative office (principal, asst. principal, guidance counselor etc.) so that program information can be forwarded to the administration office.
academic tutoring or classes
financial aid and planning
More Resources From CUNY - Medgar Evers College
PROGRAM | Upward Bound is a federally funded program devoted to supporting our students in their journey toward a higher education. We offer academic support... Read moreBookmark
PROGRAM | The Talent Search Program identifies and assists individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds who have the potential to succeed in higher education.... Read moreBookmark